Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Dark Knight

My freshman year RA had a roommate who watched the movie "Seven" for seven days straight leaving only to use the bathroom and eat a morsel or two. He was eventually asked to leave. I think the same thing is happening to me with "The Dark Knight". I am obsessed with Heath Ledger's character, the Joker. Somehow he personifies freedom. My nature is to view things in their most favorable light. The concept of freedom is no exception. I think of freedom as an eagle and an American flag and NASCAR, all positive and heartwarming. But, freedom has its dark side. The Joker is completely detached from the outcome. He does things for the experience, not for the end result. Death and failure are of no concern to him. That is the ultimate freedom.

No comments: