Sunday, November 16, 2008

Meat me at Bukowski's

I am living like a king. The Czech Republic is not yet on the Euro; they use the Czech crown. Consequently, things are affordable for Americans. Beer is dirt cheap and food is comparable to or slightly less expensive than in America. The beer is incredible and the food is, wait for it, delicious. They even season it, like with spices and stuff. I feel like I am on a different planet. Every meal consists of sausage, ham, bacon, beer, potatoes, etc., set to the backdrop of gorgeous buildings and a seedy edge that you don't find in Holland.

On Friday night, Jon and I watched a U2 cover band at a semi-famous bar called, Vagon. Czech Bono couldn't sing but was adept at channeling the tool in real Bono, complete with hand gestures and dancing with a member of the audience during "With or Without You". We were both exhausted after the show. Getting up early and walking the town had taken its toll. We met his friends for a drink and went home shortly thereafter. The second bar had a mini Kentucky vanity plate that said, "rn4roses". Pretty cool.

Saturday started with a breakfast of eggs, a bagel, grilled tomatoes, hash browns, bacon, and sausage. I was in heaven. With bulging bellies we rode the tram to a hill called, Vysehrad. The hill overlooks the Vltava river. The views are breathtaking. We settled in a beer garden for an hour or so, taking in Prague and drinking Pilsner Urquell. Do the aforementioned act before you die.

Jon's friend, Kelly (from Jacksonville, Florida) met us at an expat bar near the town's main thoroughfare where we watched them Gator boys beat up on South Carolina. Dare I say Florida is the best team in the country? Go Gators.

After the game, we went to a place called, Bukowski's, named after legendary author, Charles Bukowski. Bukowski was known for his decadence. He live much of his life homeless and broke so I expected a dive bar with a cloud of smoke. I was mistaken. The bar was really nice and the bartender was an American from California. She let us buy beers and cocktails to go at the end of the night, after last call. She even gave us what can only be described as a Mason jar to carry the ill advised Long Island Iced Tea that Kelly ordered. I love this place.

Today is a nasty one. I was spoiled by a crisp, blue-skied day yesterday. I think we're going to grab another huge meal (I still need to gain two pounds in order to meet my goal for the trip) and drink a couple of the delicious beers.

Pictures are forthcoming.

Be good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the weight gain goal. You were looking a little frail with all that crappy Dutch food. Be careful when you come back to America (hopefully we still call in that in the next few weeks), you're going to eat like never before. I had a steak when I got back from outback and it was magical. Gators are on a roll. I think we can win the next couple of games and get things really going for a run at the title game in Miami.

Jim Payton said...

The pictures are great keep them coming. Two more weeks and you'll be in USA, we are looking forward to seeing you after the weight gain.