Monday, August 18, 2008

Dropkick in Harvard Yard



Boston is white, real white. I saw about twenty black people over two days. Despite its homogeneity (or perhaps because of it) Boston is a wonderful town.

Buck and I left New York on Saturday morning at 9:00 a.m. We rode with a company called, Boltbus which cost 18.75. The bus ride wasn't too bad, took about five hours because of traffic.

We got into Boston at about 2:00 in the afternoon and were due to meet Michael at 4:30. I bought a map of Boston before the trip that outlined the freedom trail, a tour of famous revolutionary sites including John Hancock's grave and the first public schoolhouse. There are around twelve sites and we saw seven or eight of them. I have no pictures of our revolutionary trek because my camera battery was running low and I had to have pictures of Fenway the next day.

We probably could have seen more sites but we made an impromptu, two pub crawl. The first one, Kennedy's, was pretty cool. It is old and charming. The bartender was Irish which would be a recurring theme. Boston is true to many of its stereotypes. There are a lot of Irish people or people of Irish descent. I was wearing my Florida Coastal School of Law t-shirt. There was a guy wearing a Harvard Law shirt in the corner of the bar. I looked at my shirt and frowned while video game failure music played in my head.

The second bar, Hub Pub, was not quite as nice. The bartender was surly and not from Ireland. We only had a beer at each place. Buck is easily distracted and forgot to drink his beer. But, homeboy will recover. He chugged his beer and we left to meet Laker.

The subway is called the "T" and it is clean and efficient. The cars are spacious and you almost never see riff raff. I didn't realize it at the time but we saw around zero poor people. I am told that Boston is segregated which is why you don't see any black people or poor people. We took the "T" to Harvard Square where we met Laker. He showed us around Harvard and then we went to dinner with some of his friends. Linearly, the night looked like this: old Irish pub complete with Irish server, legit BBQ joint with crazy paintings and an underground dining room, rock band session at Laker's buddy Frank's house, and ass scorching karaoke session at a dive bar. The show included back to back duets featuring Laker and me singing Friends in Low Places and You Don't Have to Call Me Darlin'. The Bostonians yawned.

Buck and I felt a little rough the next day but Fenway was calling so we obliged. Fenway is as good as advertised. They have done a fine job of adding seats without compromising its charm. We had standing room only tickets but Josh Beckett got touched for eight runs in just three innings so the Red Sox faithful emptied a few actual chair backs for us. I'm still not much of a Sox fan but you have to appreciate a town that has permanent signs on their subway, sorry "T", warning against taking the E train because it does not stop at the Fenway Park station.

No comments: