Saturday, August 30, 2008

Den Haag

The Hague is a different place. It is only 45 minutes from Amsterdam by train but they are quite different in atmosphere. The Hague is a very modern city. Some historic buildings still exist but much of the city is populated with modern buildings and amenities. I am staying at the StayOk hostel. I got into The Hague on a Friday morning an set about finding this hostel because it was recommended by Ronnie’s angel of a wife. It took about an hour to walk from the train station to the hostel because: 1) I didn’t know where I was going and 2) my backpack contains three months worth of stuff. I would later discover that it is about a ten minute walk from the station and that I walked the wrong way but this is the story of my life. StayOk is a network of hostels exclusively in Holland and they are amazing. It only costs 29 Euro a night. After checking in I walked around the town for a bit before calling it a night. Homeboy on the bunk under me was about four hundred pounds and snored like a polar bear. I knew I was in trouble because he breathed like a gay Darth Vader. It took him about thirty minutes (rough estimate) to start snoring but once he did he made up for lost time. I’m pretty sure the bed was shaking. I was too tired (lazy) to get down and wake him so I just endured it for an hour or so. He finally stopped snoring or left and I got some rest. I woke at 7:30 and was thrilled to find that the StayOk had vacancy for one more night. This time I get a room with just one bunk bed for a maximum of one other roommate.

No comments: