Sunday, August 31, 2008

Movin' In


My phantom roommate never showed up last night so I had a hostel room to myself. Sadly, after all the hospitality shown me by Jeanette and the StayOK staff, I left StayOK and moved into my apartment. It is right next to the Central train station which will be convenient for taking the tram and exploring Europe. The apartment is surprisingly nice. My “bedroom” is more like a closet and may end up being losing its job to the futon that sits in the living room. I have internet access and a television with several channels including CNN and MTV. I will be able to keep up with the RNC to see if McCain can capitalize on the DNC’s lackluster performance. I am also interested in his Vice President. I suppose everyone is since she has no public history. Just in case you were wondering, the Europeans love Obama and don’t understand why we don’t skip the election and name him king. I think that’s how they do it over here.

Betty was gracious enough to meet me again and show me the town. I had already seen most of it but she explained exactly what I had seen. She also taught me how to use the tram. It was like the first time you jump into the water in the spring. You know it is going to be cold but that once you get in everything will be fine yet you sit on the edge of the boat and fret over those first few moments. The tram isn’t really all that hard except you have to know how far you are going before you board. It’s not like every subway in America where you pay two dollars and go as far as you want. You have to pay for how many “zones” you are going to travel and you do so by stamping a long ticket with perforated slips on it. It looks like those labels that you get when you buy dividers for a binder. You know the ones that you put in the plastic tabs so you can mark each section. It looks like that but each one is numbered. This may sound confusing. It is. I am not entirely sure how to use it. Cross your fingers that I don’t end up in Dutch jail tomorrow for improper tram riding.

Tomorrow is my first day at the ICTY. I’m ready to get in a routine. Cheers.

No comments: