Thursday, August 14, 2008

Live at the Apollo



I survived Harlem. I have no pictures of this harrowing experience because I am not Anderson Cooper. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to survive. I'm not proud of all my actions but I have no regrets. Dom took me to a BBQ place called, Dinosaur, where we devoured half a chicken, potatoes, the best wings I've ever tasted, and a couple of beers, all while dodging bullets. We were nearly carjacked and I'm certain we would have been if we had a car.

The truth is, Harlem isn't that scary, at least the part of Harlem we saw. I did see some ladies yelling through the window because they were not receiving service at the outdoor tables. Apparently, walking inside the restaurant and asking for service was not an option. They had to yell through the window at the bartender. These women have never seen Waiting.

After lunch, we went to a Mexican place for a beer. Dom lives in a largely Latin American area. He gets his hair cut at Miguel's. Miguel tried to give him a chin strap beard and blocked off hairline. Seriously. Nice hair cut though. Then we met his girlfriend, Cat, and we all went to Union Square to have dinner with Jami. Dom took us to a Cuban place in Soho and it was amazing. I had the Cuban sandwich (hugs and kisses for anyone who can tell me what they call it in Cuba) and Jami had pork with crazy delicious toast. Dom brought some fine French wine and I capped off the night with a delightful cup of espresso. I'm just glad to be alive.

No comments: