Saturday, October 11, 2008

Going Dutch

Today was a quintessentially Dutch day. The sky was beautiful and the temperature was perfect. I started the day at a tourist shop so I could buy a Holland t-shirt for tonight's football (soccer) game. Then I ate lunch at Subway.

My favorite thing about Subway is that they sell Mountain Dew. I bought one with my meal and set off on the Plein (square) for a protest concert. The signs were mostly in Dutch so I'm not entirely clear on what they were protesting but I think it had something to do with President Bush. A policeman walked up to me while I was perusing the grounds and asked what I had in my hand.

"Beer?"

"It's a Mountain Dew."

"Oh, beer," he said with nod, reveling in the fact that he was proven correct.

"No sir, it's a softdrink."

"Oh! soft drink," he said with a puzzled look.

I wanted to offer some to him because Mountain Dew is so delicious and I'm saddened by his ignorance but I thought it best not to push my luck.

Off to the football game.

3 comments:

Bonnie Payton said...

Ted this is a test posting!

MOMMA

Bonnie Payton said...

Ted, it worked so now I will be able to comment on your excitement!

Momma

Anonymous said...

TP, I have my passport and I'm ready to go. I'm pumped to come see you Big Dog! The LSU game was electric as only the the SWAMP can be. Great game! I get on the plane Tuesday afternoon and get to your neck of the woods on Wednesday at noon. Cheers!