Thursday, October 2, 2008

You're Gonna Burn My Country Music Award?




So much happened on this trip that I need to break it into installments. We expected the drive to take six hours but it was more like eight. None of us had eaten so we stopped at a McDonalds just outside of Munich at 2:45 in the morning. We did not have reservations for the night so we just slept in the car at this rest stop. John slept on a bench outside, Travis in the passenger seat, Chris in what is best described as the back seat and me in the driver’s seat. I slept on and off for about four hours because every time Travis or Chris would roll over, the tiny car shook me awake.

We woke early the next morning and drove the rest of the way to Munich. Travis did a pretty good job of describing the first few hours at Oktoberfest. Unfortunately, a member of our group (not me or Travis) could not handle Travis’ cousins (take a look at the picture of Travis and the lone Austrian toasting the camera). We went home early to meet with John and Chris’ friends at the hotel. I called Jami from an internet café and we all settled in for the night. There was no need to get too crazy on the first day at Oktoberfest. By now it was clear we would not be able to hang with the Bavarians so it was best to concede and enjoy the next day.

I tried to convince everyone that we should get there early. They didn’t listen and we ended up seatless again. Not having a seat in the large beer halls is not all that bad a deal. Sunday morning was a little slower than Saturday so we walked right up to one of the smaller tents and ordered a round. This time, inspired by the performance of our now absent colleague, we all ate a lot of Bavarian food before drinking. Brats and sauerkraut, ox tail, and giant pretzels. The entire day was tamer than Saturday. Everyone else went home while Travis and I walked around Munich looking for lederhosen.

I didn’t want to buy some tourist fake lederhosen but I can’t afford some of the nicer, heavier stuff. Fortunately, we found a shop that sold something in between. The entire shop was intrigued by my desire for the local dress and took the time to make sure I had the right pair. They weren’t cheap but I think you’ll agree they were worth it.

We had a beer at a beer hall and walked around the city center then we went back to the hotel. I thought the night was finished. I called Jami and weighed whether or not to sleep in my new lederhosen. When I returned from the internet café, the guys told me to get dressed because we were going to the bar. I thought they were crazy because: a) we had been partying for two straight days and b) it was a Sunday night in Europe, a time at which nothing is open. The first few attempts at finding a party proved fruitless. It looked like I was right until we stumbled upon a late night-Oktoberfest dance party. One of the cool things about Oktoberfest is how many locals you see. It isn’t a big tourist party. Nearly everyone is Bavarian and wearing lederhosen. I fit in perfectly. The DJ was very good. He played some German pop, some top forty American hits, and a John Denver cover set to techno music.

We had plans for the next day so we eventually made it home. Detox in the Bavarian Alps was next.

No comments: