Monday, October 27, 2008

It's Not That Bad

It has been brought to my attention that my blog may have a negative bent to it. I don’t want to give the impression that I’m not enjoying myself or that I don’t like Holland. I just like nearly everywhere else on earth more than I like Holland. But, Holland isn’t that bad.

I’ve decided to make a list of Holland’s pros.

Pros:
1. The ICTY has been an amazing experience- I’ve met some incredible people and learned A TON.

2. The beer is incredible- The Dutch beer is pretty damn good but the Belgian beer is out of this world.

3. The towns are beautiful- European cities are gorgeous. They have strict zoning laws that serve to maintain the historical integrity of the buildings. I like this.

4. The cops leave you alone- I have a problem with authority so I’m glad the cops aren’t breathing down my neck all the time (this one is a bit of a stretch since I rarely have trouble with the law at home).

5. I have fallen in love with the Balkans- This one should probably be a subtitle of #1 but we’ll count it separately.

6. Their drug laws are superior- I don’t take drugs but I think people should be able to if they so desire. The Dutch don’t understand why we criminalize marijuana. I agree with them.

7. The bars are charming- They are cozy, a quintessentially Dutch quality.

8. Soccer is actually pretty cool- I got into the game with the Euro 2008 and had my interest confirmed by a trip to a World Cup qualifier.

9. Proximity- Belgium, France, and Germany are very close.

10. Bicycles- This one is the best. Bike travel gives you a morning workout and a stress reliever on your way home.

2 comments:

Jim Payton said...

I know I'm your dad, but I have not senced any negative in your blog. As a matter of fact I think it's pretty dang funny.

K.A.K.A.K said...

Negative or not, I'm totally jealous of all your fabulous adventures you seem to be having. Speaking of fabulous adventures, my mom and I created our own by eating dinner at European Street tonight. Since we were at "European" Street, my mom decided that we were being waited on by Pierre, and Colleen O'Brien. According to her, the guy had a thick accent that she couldn't quite understand, so she wanted to ask what country he was from, but instead decided he was Pierre from France. The girl had red hair, so obviously she was Colleen from Ireland. Then we started sharing the amazing names that parents bestow upon their children. At my school for example, we have had or currently have students named: Emergency, Shithead (not Shitheed), La' Jean, Just-us, Mimosa, Powerful. Much to the dismay of some nearby elderly fellow patrons, we were laughing so hard, we were crying. Other than that, my fabulous adventures consist of painting the downstairs and trying to coordinate everyones' plans for FL-GA. Go Gators!